Retrospect offers subscription licensing for Retrospect Backup, in monthly, 1 year, 2 year, and 3 year plans. Monthly subscriptions are available from our online store, and yearly subscriptions are available from our worldwide distribution network as well as our online store. A Retrospect Backup subscription offers a number of advantages over alternatives:
- Low Recurring Cost: Customers can start protecting their environment for a low upfront cost and only use it as long as they need.
- Data Ownership: Retrospect Backup ensures customers own their data. With a diverse set of destinations supported, customers can protect their data on disk, tape, and over twenty cloud storage providers. Migrating backups from one destination to another is as simple as creating a transfer script.
- Restore Always Supported: Retrospect Backup always supports restores. If a customer chooses to cancel their subscription, backup and duplicate will cease to work, but the customer can continue using Retrospect for restoring their past backups.
- Product Updates Included: Every Retrospect Backup subscription includes all product updates, and the license you used in the current version will work in the next version. No need to enter a new license.
- Technical Support Included: Technical support is available for every customer with a Retrospect Backup subscription. Phone support is available for every edition except Solo.
Under subscription licensing, Retrospect Backup periodically contacts the Retrospect server to fetch the latest subscription expiration date. The subscription is displayed at the bottom of the Retrospect Backup application. Customers can manually refresh that date using the Refresh menu item. Retrospect Backup will continue to function for 30 days after a subscription expires.
To manage your subscription, please log into the Retrospect Portal and select Licenses.
To simplify our subscription product offering, there are a few differences between our subscription editions and our perpetual editions:
- Cross-Platform Licensing: All subscription licenses support any platform that Retrospect supports.
- Open File Add-on: The Open File Add-on is included in every subscription edition.
- Management Console Add-on: This Add-on is included in all Premium editions.
- Advanced Tape Add-on: This Add-on is included in all Premium editions except Solo and Desktop.
- Dissimilar Hardware Add-on: This Add-on is included in all Premium editions on Windows.
If you currently own a perpetual license, you can easily switch to a lower-cost subscription license by simply buying the new subscription license and adding it to Retrospect Backup. To switch from subscription to perpetual licensing, you will need to contact our Support team.
Retrospect offers perpetual licensing for Retrospect Backup and Retrospect Virtual. Retrospect Backup can be used without an internet connection, a common use case for a subset of customers. There is no required license activation. It works out-of-the-box.
All server-level editions of Retrospect with perpetual licensing include Annual Support and Maintenance.
Premium editions under perpetual licenses include Open File Backup Add-on and Dissimilar Hardware Restore Add-on.
Extend your coverage to one year of support and free software upgrades
Every copy of Retrospect Desktop, Retrospect Single Server, and Retrospect Multi Server comes with 30 days of complimentary support. You can contact us by phone or email; we're here to help. Extend your coverage to one year with our Annual Support and Maintenance contract and also receive one year of free software upgrades. That includes every major and minor release of your Retrospect product, with our fantastic support team ready to help if you have any issues.
After your complimentary coverage expires, you can find answers through our tutorials, our knowledgebase, and our forums. However, without Annual Support and Maintenance, contacting our support team after your coverage expires is $70 per incident. Trial customers receive complimentary coverage for the full period of their trial.
Retrospect's Annual Support and Maintenance Contract includes the following for one year from the date of purchase*:
- 9x5 phone-based technical support with the ability to submit a web ticket 24x7
- Free upgrades and updates of your Retrospect software products released during the term of the contract
* If you purchase a new Retrospect Backup & Recovery product with an Annual Support and Maintenance Contract, your support contract will take effect 30 days after your purchase. The first 30 days of support are included free with the product purchase.
Give yourself peace of mind with priority access to our senior technical support engineers and free product updates and upgrades for a year.
Purchased coverage recently? Register now.
Annual Support and Maintenance must be registered within 30 days of purchase. No product download is necessary. Your Annual Support and Maintenance License code is for record keeping purposes only, and does not need to be entered into the Retrospect License Manager.
When a new product version or a product update becomes available, you will receive an email instructing you on how to receive your copy. If you do not receive this email, please contact our support team.
Our support team is available by phone and email. Please have your 16 digit Annual Support and Maintenance (ASM) reference number available. Contact support.
Contact your preferred reseller or purchase a new Annual Support and Maintenance contract through our store. If you need help with your renewal part numbers contact +1 909 919 9939 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is a license code?
License codes are 16-digit alpha numeric codes with 4 sets of 4 digits (XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX). License codes can be located by clicking on Configure > Licenses (Windows) or Preferences > Licenses (Mac).
If you purchased an electronic download and license code, you will receive an e-mail with a link to download the software, as well as the license code for the product. If you purchased a boxed product, your license code will be inside the package on a card labeled "License Code," or on the inside flap of the CD folder.
You can find a registration number on the registration card that came with your product, on the bottom of the product box, or on the inside cover, directly underneath the CD in the jacket.
Upgrade Eligibility Policy for Retrospect 16 for Windows and Retrospect 16 for Mac
- Products with current Annual Support and Maintenance (ASM) agreements – Receive licenses for free with ASM fulfillment.
- Retrospect 15.x for Windows or Retrospect 15.x for Mac purchases between Feb 1, 2019 through March 5, 2019 – Upgrade for free by contacting Customer Support with your license code.
- Retrospect 12.x/15.x for Windows or Retrospect 14.x/15.x for Mac purchases before Feb 1, 2019 – See the upgrade price for your product using the License Wizard.
- Bundled OEM products – Bundled OEM versions of the product are excluded from upgrade pricing.
I've lost my license. How do I get a replacement license?
Replacement licenses are distributed to customers who currently own Retrospect products. If you are not a registered user, you will be required to provide proof of ownership before a replacement license can be issued. To request a replacement license for your software, please contact Customer Support.
Can I exchange my Retrospect for Macintosh license for a Retrospect for Windows license?
You can upgrade your Macintosh product to an equivalent product for Windows. Client packs are cross-platform, for Mac or Windows clients.
I have a UAC license code. How do I receive a permanent code?
If you receive a Retrospect product upgrade that comes with an upgrade authentication code (UAC), you must complete the following steps to obtain a permanent license code and use your software.
- Visit UAC Activation Wizard.
- Please have both your current Retrospect product license code and UAC ready.
- Enter your UAC and current license code in the appropriate fields on the Web page.
After you complete the process, you will receive your permanent license code via e-mail within 24 hours.
If the Web site does not allow you to enter this information, or if you have any questions, please contact the Retrospect Customer Support Team.
How do I activate my Competitive Upgrade?
Customers who purchase Competitive Upgrades will receive an e-mail with an upgrade authentication code (UAC). To receive a permanent license code and link to download the Retrospect software, please contact Customer Support.
Customers must provide valid proof of ownership to take advantage of the Competitive Upgrade program. One of the following items from an approved competitor product must be submitted to qualify for the competitive upgrade:
- Product registration or license code
- Cover of your Retrospect user's manual
- Original Proof of Purchase
If you have questions, please contact Customer Support.
Retrospect's License Agreement is grayed out. What do I do?
Retrospect will not allow you to accept the Licensing Agreement until after you have scrolled to the bottom of the agreement. Once you are at the bottom, you should see the Accept button become available.
I entered my license code into the software, but it is telling me that the code failed. What do I do?
If you have copied and pasted the license code into the prompt, it is possible that an extra space was added at the end of your code. Please try typing the license code into the prompt, exactly as it appears in your e-mail or on the license card from the package. If you have tried this already and the code is still not accepted, it is possible you have purchased the wrong product for your computer. Please call the Customer Service department for further assistance.
Why won't Retrospect accept my license code?
The License Manager will only accept:
- Client license codes
- Client activator codes
- License codes for an edition of Retrospect that is an upgrade from your current edition
The License Manager will not accept:
- Registration numbers beginning with a capital U, D, F, or J followed by 10 numbers. The corresponding activator codes must be entered.
- License codes for another copy of the same edition of Retrospect. For example, you cannot add a second Retrospect Server Edition code to the License Manager of a Retrospect Server Edition.
Still have questions? Please contact Customer Support.