Retrospect Backup is designed to be easy-to-use in small and large environments. A single Retrospect Backup engine is able to protect hundreds of computers, given sufficient hardware and network resources. We recommend up to 50 servers and up to 150 endpoints for each Retrospect Backup engine, although we have customers that have tweaked their settings to protect more.
In addition, you can easily set up additional Retrospect Backup engines to protect more computers. Every Retrospect Backup engine can be added to Retrospect Management Console for easy consolidated monitoring and management through a single pane of glass.
Retrospect Management Console makes it easy to monitor and manage dozens of Retrospect Backup engines.
Retrospect Clients can be configured to automatically add themselves to their local Retrospect Backup engine on first launch.
Retrospect supports complex backup strategies, like transferring backups offsite without touching the source data.
Let's go through a few of the key features to utilize when scaling up Retrospect Backup:
- Management Console: With Storage Groups, you can run up to 16 parallel backups to the same disk or cloud destination, drastically reducing the backup window.
- Automatically-Added Clients: Retrospect Backup supports automatically-added clients using a known public key. You simply create a keypair in Preferences and add the public key to the 'public_key' folder in the Retrospect Backup Client installer folder. When the client installer runs, it adds the public key to the Retrospect Backup Client. On launch, the Retrospect Backup Client broadcasts a notification that it is available. The listening Retrospect Backup engine identifies the public key as a known key and adds it to a 'Automatically-Added Clients' folder for backup. You don't need to touch the Retrospect Backup engine for any new clients if you have that folder added to the backup script. Retrospect Backup automatically protects them as soon as it sees them.
- Simultaneous Executions: Retrospect Backup supports up to 16 simultaneous executions, allowing you to perform many operations at the same time. We recommend 4GB of RAM minimum with 1GB of RAM per simultaneous execution.
- ProactiveAI: ProactiveAI is the next generation of Retrospect's Proactive scheduling engine. With ProactiveAI, backup scripts will optimize the backup window for the entire environment based on a decision tree algorithm and linear regression to ensure every source is protected as often as possible.
- Storage Groups: With Storage Groups, you can run up to 16 parallel backups to the same disk or cloud destination, drastically reducing the backup window.
- Backup Transfer: Retrospect Backup makes it easy to implement a complex backup strategy without duplicating the backup window for the same servers or endpoints. Using Backup Transfer, you can use an existing backup and transfer the latest or a subset of the files to a different backup set, enabling you to meet a 3-2-1 backup strategy without touching the original computer more than once.